Thursday, January 12, 2012

Allow Me To Re-Introduce Myself... New Years Resolutions

WOW! It has been a long time. So much stuff has occurred in the world since I last posted, and so much in my world has as well. Even now, as I write I'm still going through my madness, but I felt compelled to start doing what I love best - writing!!


So, in the spirit of celebrating a brand new year I want to re-introduce the A.P. Reality blogspot with a short series of posts that will get this blog all caught up on past events while at the same time remain current. So I don't overwhelm myself but become to complacent, I will try to post stuff bi-weekly or monthly, but there won't be huge gaps between posts anymore. Cool?  So let's do this damn thang!
   
Re-Intro. Part 1 - 2012 Resolutions
      Happy New Year!  Just in case you haven't heard that phrase for the billionth time these past two weeks, but hopefully (in some weird train of thought way) leads you to think about your resolutions. Last year, I had several but one ambiguous goal I wanted to maintain throughout 2011 was to take myself more seriously. If you asked anyone from my high school or college years that knew me personally will screw their face with a look of confusion and think "Ashley, take her self more seriously... um, that (chick) needs to lighten up once and a while." Seriously, that's what they'll tell you. But what a lot of people don't know about me is... I sometimes lack the great talent of following-through. By that I mean I can be a self-starter, but I am a bad finisher; my interest in something tends to burn out if I am not progressing quick enough - which is typical of someone who is a Fire sign - and more often than not my seedlings of new endeavours bloom only into buds, not flowers. So 2011 was suppose to be a year of change, and I did change: I completed my novel; I changed my eating habits, my self-esteem improved, I really put myself out there in the industry for which I went to school.  I struggled every step of the way, of course, but as many great leaders of the past will tell you "without struggle, there is no progress".

This year, in the wake of so much higher consciousness among the masses, I want to strive for a better me: become more financially independent (i.e. getting off of the crack credit card), take my writing more seriously, getting involved with an NGO or social advocacy group, learn Spanish and find a better job ... among a few others that I may write a post on (Stay tuned).

Some people eschew New Years resolutions because they find it a waste of time and think "c'mon, who really sticks to them by the end of January?" I used to say the same thing, believe me. But last year I was determined to see them through because I wasn't getting any younger and I felt I was slowing sliding into a rut, and it hadn't even been a year since I graduated from college.  The difference now is setting these resolutions are goals that I actually WANT to achieve, not because I feel like I have to.

What are some of you New Year resolutions? Do you ever stick to them? Let a girl know, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment