Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A Jack Layton Tribute: The Great Man I Hardly Knew

     


For years I heard his voice, but I never listened to what he had to say. I saw his face, and I took his infectious smile for granted. Since I was a young girl I watched this very spirited man bare his soul and  make case for a better choice between the two tired, LYING, and devious Conservative  and Liberal parties.  I always thought he was phony, but then again, I wasn't really listening to what he had to say during those economic times.

    Now, as an older, somewhat mature, young woman and college graduate, I can no longer ignore the Canadian political circus that dictates the law in this country, and for the first time this year I actually took the time finally really listen to Jack Layton and his platform, unfortunately it would be for the last time.


     Something that a lot of people who don't know about me is that I am a swing voter. Since I was 18yrs old I have never identified with any one party platform and claimed it like some socialized religious group. I am one of those people who was sold on whichever party was selling me the best ideas for my current situation.  When the 2011 elections were called I declared I wouldn't even participate - I was too convinced that government can't solve public problems because they are already bought by their biggest contributors who are commonly big corporations. They all essentially answer to them. I, too, was one of those naive persons who got swept up in the reverend-like rhetoric of, now President, Barack Obama during his candidacy promising slow but sweeping change - but all America is getting right now is Conservative-like change that only takes baby steps to real reform, and I felt that this was going to be the case for this years NDP. But there was so much wrong being done in Canada in terms of social responsibility and as I looked at his platform, he was advocating mostly for social reforms more so than fiscal ones, and I liked that.

    I am a firm believer that money should never be the reason why we don't do anything that is fundamentally right. When the detached Stephen Harper makes claims how we can't afford some things, I wonder who he's referring too. I know it's not because I make very little money. But he, and a small percentage of Canadians (mostly politicians I might add) are making six-figure salaries and have literally hundreds of societal perks to further off-set their livelihood that makes it easier for them to answer the call to sacrifice. But as I also state in my other blog, Forward Thinkin', Democracy is another idea that is good in theory, but in practice it's still a dictatorship. The winner of any election is always picked beforehand and the vote is shown as a necessary formality. Why? Because governments are not what make a country - BUSINESS defines it, because business is the only vehicle by from which one makes their livelihood, not public policy. So it will always be in the best interest for politicians to serve business needs before serving its own citizens that use their sweat to uphold this inhumane economic system that is sole based on a collection of money and heartless competition.


     I digress, because I am not trying to imply Jack Layton was one of these types of people. I don't think he was. He brought to light a lot of OFTEN forgotten citizens in most party platforms: seniors and their elderly care, and youth unemployment. This would be the first time I would vote NDP this year, and if they keep performing like they are right now, they will be the party I will stick with in the next election.

    It was Jack's courageous, and inspirational tenacity during the English debate in April that won me over... and with his passing I feel... I feel... I feel I truly lost a friend. I never got to meet him in person but that is how close he portrayed himself onto Canadians - as if he was your neighbour. And to me he was.

  http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2011/08/22/layton-obituary.html

        This link above will take you to an open letter to all his fellow Canadians in which HE WROTE his last words. What other Canadian politician in or out of office would take the time to write his last gratitude on their death bed??? Even in sickness, Jack Layton's mind never strayed from the people he chose to serve the most... and I as a Canadian can't feel anymore proud than I am of this one politician who saw the whole picture of what this great nation could be without looking through his wallet first.


THANK YOU JACK LAYTON - FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR YOUR SACRIFICE. FOR YOUR LOVE OF THE PEOPLE THAT MAKE THIS COUNTRY SO GREAT.


I hardly knew you... and I miss you already.

Peace be with you.








No comments:

Post a Comment