Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Environmental Vegetarianism


 I was raised on eating meat. Even when I was small I wasn't so naive to not think my burgers did not come from a cow, I was only ignorant to never questioning if killing animals was right or wrong. Which for many don't seem to mind because of the texture and protein derived from it, and from the time you are very small you learn about "the circle of life" and dinosaurs. But for me, that was the biggest conundrum: I always felt T-Rex dinosaurs were always in the wrong in feeding off of herbivorous animals, yet that same sentiment did not extend to the "normal" diet of humans beings.
      Why does grass-fed beef taste better? Well, it's because these cows actually eat food that their bodies were designed to digest properly... it's a plant-based diet. So outside of just fat that the T-Rex was getting when he ate the Brontosaurus, he was also getting the plant nutrients of which the Brontosaurus had so well built in his system over time. But... to each his own, right?



      For me, since watching the life-altering documentary and being a passionate environmentalist, I made a commitment to eliminate animal products from my diet and the majority of my lifestyle as a means to reduce my contribution to climate change - less demand for meat, less meat needed to be supplied. But I have to be honest with you, because I wasn't raised as a vegetarian - just like most people - giving it up is NOT an easy thing to do... or at least I find it hard to do. It's like smoking for 20 years and quitting cold-turkey, the habit of eating meat is so ingrained in our psyche of what it means to feel full.  But because I want to eventually become a vegan and never lapse, cutting down my meat in-take TAKES TIME. It takes patience, self-discipline, and self-education, and honestly, any small reduction for the demand of these kinds of industries and their need to over-breed and cause more suffering and environmental damage, the better.



    I care about animals. I do. I know in some places people eat peacocks and I can't begin to relay how much that offends me on the deepest level possible of my soul.  Peacocks, swans, hummingbirds, Canadian geese (I can hear some Canadians booing me now on that one - yes, I know they are annoying little SOBs but... what can I say ;)  these are magnificent looking creatures that should be looked upon and admired for their beauty... not eaten, plucked, skinned or what have you. However, I'm not a fan of all a living creatures, mostly bugs and reptiles. I would NEVER eat these things, but their plight is not my predominant reason for giving up meat. It's the 18% carbon footprint that I feel can easily be controlled by humanity's change in social values on what is considered a source of protein. So for the sake of the planet and my own personal health, with a small portion leaning to the rights of animal,  is my reason for now practicing an ovo-vegetarian diet as a stepping stone to becoming a vegan.

     Why have I decided to avoid dairy? My own research showed that drinking cow milk has way more side-effects than in comparison to milk derived from plant-based sources. When I learned that cow milk was a factor in causing eczema... that was enough reason for me to quit it altogether. And guess what????  It's been clearing up on my skin and it's only been 3 months!! HA! No more hydro-cortisone cream! I'm Free!

     I'll keep you posted on my progress. It won't be easy, but self-sacrifice for the greater good is a call we all should not be afraid to stand up to, or be ignorant enough to ignore.


"Evil prevails when good [people] do nothing" 
- Edmund Burke, 18th Century Irish statesman, philosopher and political theorist.


What are your thoughts on making the switch to a vegan or vegetarian diet? Is it too much of a sacrifice?

No comments:

Post a Comment