Saturday, September 10, 2011

Burnout: The Importance of Volunteering and Life Balance

The greater good. I am a person who believes in self-sacrifice for the greater - not in the most dogmatic way, but where it can be done. It's a core reason why I am now vegetarian, and a blossoming social activist. I have a strong desire to see some positive change in this world, hopefully in my lifetime, and a part of me feels that I can with just having that virtue and being around people. A smile, a hug, words of gratitude, gift-giving, sharing, supporting, honoring the best of us - all those things are priceless, and we can practice each day of our lives.
  I hope that this daily ritual of kindness bleeds into our social fabric that currently capitalizes on individualism, personal desires, and greed in a degree that is not even humane. Let me clarify: there is nothing wrong with being your own individual, but to hold your own self-interests so high that it supersedes humility is - I find to be - self-indulging in the most extreme and dogmatic way. Thus, you submit yourself to always fueling your desires, living a life of dissatisfaction, and suffer when that desire isn't fulfilled, or worse, when it's not fulfilled in a timely manner.

When people confide in me, or I in them, about feeling the pressure to being the best in everything - whether it is from family or from themselves, I think about how that has become the sad reality of being an adult. And it's because people today value feeding their own egos than seeing the value in humane virtues and practice. Since we live in a system that thrives off of competition, we are "forced" to put living humanely to the side. Hell, even trust often has to be earned in the same way money is acquired: labour. But I remember a few teachers telling me this: our paths to attain our goals will always be different, but we get there [sic]. Yes. Often times, it takes a journey to fully appreciate what you really want in life, what you really want to do with your life. I have friend whom I have known for years who are active members in something community-related or vegetarian, but I only started getting involved and practicing this year. I don't feel guilty for never starting sooner, because if I did so just because, I wouldn't understand why I was doing it. I would just be satisfied in feeding my own ego from the people who would praise me for being just like them. And yet, as ironic as it may be, one still loses their sense of individuality by striving to be part of the masses in that self-indulgence of feeding one's ego. Weird, huh?

But let's step back for a second, because being in good spirits and practice all the time, isn't a perfect formula for life's woes. Humanity may be a social creature, but anyone can attest to the NECESSITY of having "me- time". Can I get a "word up!" on that? This may be biased coming from a centrist, but balancing your time, not taking too many convictions to the extreme, and being okay with doing what you can is important. Outside from my internship and work, I am also a social activist. Today marks the inaugural TZM - Toronto - Global Food Drive at El Gordo's Fine Foods in Kensington Market in Toronto, Canada. We are collecting non-perishable foods for Scott's Mission food bank, so if you are in town come drop by and take part in the festivities in our gratitude for your donation. And learn something new.


I digress. So... yeah, with so much on the go, it is possible to suffer from burnout. You can't always be at your perkiest and people should compassionate enough to understand that. So balance is key, I feel so much better doing a lot of things that I've never done before this year and I am coming to appreciate the time it takes to get there. Don't stress people, it may take until your 40yrs or 70yrs young to finally live out your unapologetic, authentic life, but you'll get there. We all do.



What always burns you out? Family, school, job? All three? Let me know in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment